I have a soft spot for waffles. Flashback to 2011, my husband and I took a trip to Napa and stayed at this bed and breakfast like hotel. Every morning for a week I was woken up by tantalizing smells of waffles, luscious butter, and sweet syrupy goodness. Even now I can still taste those heavenly delicious waffles.
Now lets flashback to even further back to when this panda was just a baby panda. My parents had packed our whole lives up and brought us to America. I had just started kindergarten and was nervous to step out onto unfamiliar grounds. I am sure my mom had sensed my anxiety and would wake up extra early to make waffles! Not only that she would top it with a scoop of ice cream. Five year old me loved watching the ice cream melt into the crevices and no matter how anxious or nervous I was to go to school, those feelings would all melt away.
Breakfast had always been a healing moment for me. I knew I could take anything on after a good breakfast. The world seemed a lot less harsh after each bite of happiness. I have always wanted to share breakfast with my furry child. However with how much sugar laden breakfast items out there I did not want to have that be a part of Gatsby’s diet.
No fret! Your pup will finally be able to enjoy snuggling in bed and chowing down on some delectable wuffles! The enticing wuffles starts with a tempting crunchy outside and exquisitely luscious fluffy inside. Topped off with a berry compote that will fill the crevices and hang off the wuffles like honey. Your pup will be wagging their tails off to sink their teeth into this one!
½ cup gluten free flour
¼ tsp baking powder
1 Large egg separated
½ cup milk
1 tbsp butter (melted)
½ tsp sugar
- Preheat a waffle iron
- In a mixing bowl place gluten free flour and baking powder aside. Form a small well so that you can pour the liquid mixture in the middle.
- Place milk, egg yolk, and melted butter in another mixing bowl and mix well.
- In a separate medium sized bowl place egg whites and with a hand mixer with the whisk attachment on medium low beat egg whites for 30 seconds until frothy and put in sugar. Then continue to beat the egg whites until firm peaks form (3-5 minutes)
- Pour liquid mixture into the middle of the well of the dry mixture and slowly whisk from the center collecting dry mixtures from around the well until it is well combined.
- Fold in egg whites into mixture. Folding in egg whites will create a nice fluffy waffle!
- Lightly spray your waffle iron with some cooking spray after it is done preheating. Pour a ½ cup of waffle batter into waffle iron and cook until waffles are golden brown (3-4 minutes)
- Let waffles to cool to room temperature and top with berry compote
4-5 days in refrigerator in airtight container
3 months in freezer in zip-lock bag or airtight container
Microwave: Nuke for 10 seconds
Toaster Oven: Toast on medium or on setting 3
¼ cup Blueberries
¼ cup Blueberries
¼ cup Blackberries
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp water
- Combine ¼ cup blueberries, blackberries, lemon juice, and water in a small saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat for 8 minutes then add the remaining ¼ cup of blueberries and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Set aside in a bowl to cool and serve at room temperature.
Annie & Gatsby